ASU W.P. Carey asked me for a short quote for some career transition resources. It was published here.
Other than professional practices like medicine and law, which legally require a certain credential, you can transition fairly easily into any career path.
The quickest way is to start learning on your own. You need 2 things to get your next job:
- The ability to create value for companies (up-skilling yourself)
- The ability to prove it (portfolio projects & networking)
The most effective way I’ve found to both up-skill yourself AND transition into your new career at the same time, is to:
- Pick a company you’d love to work for
- Teach yourself a new skill by completing a project for them, without even asking
- Find a company leader’s email, using a free online email finder tool
- Email them your project & offer to do more if they like it
- Repeat until hired
Everything you need is available for free on the Internet; just get curious, dedicate at least 30 minutes per day, and give yourself permission to fail fast & learn quickly.
Do real projects for exciting companies.
That’s the one-liner. (And that‘s what I’d like Sidedoor.to to become one day.)
Thanks for reading.
Originally published @March 1, 2022